About Vidant Health
Vidant Health is a regional health system serving 29 counties in eastern North Carolina. We are working every day to improve the health of the 1.4 million people we serve. Vidant Health is made up of 8 hospitals, physician practices, home health, hospice, wellness centers and other health care services. Vidant Medical Center is affiliated with the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. As a major resource for health services and education, Vidant Health strives to support local medical communities and to work with providers throughout the region to deliver quality care. Our goal is to enhance services that are available locally and to eliminate barriers involving time, distance and lack of awareness that sometimes prevent patients from receiving the care they need.
Provide quality customer service to all telephone and walk-in patients seeking assistance/information via Vidant Health - Central Business Office. Proactive pursuit of self-pay accounts. Financial analysis of underinsured and uninsured patient accounts to include review for unidentified third party pay potential or financial assistance. Evaluate incoming correspondence to determine appropriate response to requests, inquiries and complaints. Prepare collection summary to refer accounts for after hours calls. Performs other related responsibilities as required or requested. Demonstrates service excellence.
- Receive external and internal call-in and walk-in customers.
- Professionally and courteously address and resolve questions, inquiries and complaints in a timely manner.
- Serve as liaison and referral source between the customers and the Vidant Health service they require.
- Facilitate follow-up on denied claims and the need for corrected claims.
- Assess and facilitate the need for clinical or Risk review of accounts.
- Arrange suitable payment plans, to include consolidation of accounts in accordance with accepted practices.
- Assist Vidant Health employees with employee discounts and payroll deductions.
- Concise and accurate documentation of all account contacts and transactions initiated.
- Compliance with HIPAA Policy and Procedures in the performance of all duties above.
- Initiate collection calls after insurance has paid.
- Make inquiry to determine if there is unidentified insurance coverage. Pursue payment in full on after insurance balance.
- When needed, assess financial situation and arrange a payment plan suitable for the patient and Vidant Health.
- Verify and update demographic information.
- Explain the billing cycle and clarify guarantor responsibility to pay monthly.
- Daily review of patients registered as self-pay.
- Research Imaged charts for unidentified third party payers. Initiate telephone calls to residences in pursuit of insurance information, payment in full or payment arrangements.
- Conduct on-line search for unidentified Medicaid coverage. Verify and add discovered insurance, change account financial class and redirect account to the Billing Department.
- Evaluate uninsured patients, counsel and refer for financial assistance to include Medicaid, State Agencies, NC Crime Victims' Fund and other assistance programs.
- Review incoming mail.
- Analyze all correspondence to determine the action needed.
- Impart a knowledgeable reply to all requests, inquiries and complaints in a timely manner, or channel the correspondence to the appropriate source.
- Assess accounts to determine collect-ability.
- Review accounts for referral for after hours calls.
- Prepare a brief summary of the patient's outstanding accounts and pay history.
- Concisely document reason for referral, action requested and desired results.
- Refer accounts to receiving counselors via online transfer.
- Performs in accordance with accepted procedure and responds to special requests by management in a timely and accurate manner.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures.
- Uses tact and courtesy in all interactions including but not limited to staff, patients and payers.
- Promotes a positive image and supports management in goals and objectives.
- Handles inquiries and complaints discreetly and effectively.
- High School plus 2 years or more of formal training or education in Health Occupations, Business or related to Customer Service, Collections or Associate College Degree
- More than 1 year but less than 2 years with Third party payers, Patient Accounting, Assistant Patient Counselor positions, Physician offices, Insurance companies, Financial Institutions, Imaging Specialist, Cashiers
- One year of related experience may be substituted for one year of education up to two years
- Full-Time (40 hours a week)
- Monday - Friday (8:30 am - 5 pm)
It is the goal of Vidant Health and its entities to employ the most qualified individual who best matches the requirements for the vacant position.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of all pre-employment screenings, which may include an occupational health screening, criminal record check, education, reference, and licensure verification.
We value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Decisions of employment are made based on business needs, job requirements and applicant’s qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other status protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint.