Rebranding changes continue to unfold on our Careers website as we update the Talent Acquisition portals housed within. Throughout this process and into the future we remain committed to the communities we proudly serve. We’re excited for what it means for the future of health care in eastern North Carolina and for the incredible team members who are helping to make it happen.GO TO SITE
Job ID: 966081
Facility: ECU Health Medical Center
Dept: EastCare Communications Center
Location: Greenville, NC
Shift: Not Applicable
Date Posted: Sep 27, 2023
About ECU Health
ECU Health is a mission-driven, 1,708-bed academic health care system serving more than 1.4 million people in 29 eastern North Carolina counties. The not-for-profit system is comprised of 13,000 team members, nine hospitals and a physician group that encompasses over 1,100 academic and community providers practicing in over 180 primary and specialty clinics located in more than 130 locations.
The flagship ECU Health Medical Center, a Level I Trauma Center, and ECU Health Maynard Children’s Hospital serve as the primary teaching hospitals for the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. ECU Health and the Brody School of Medicine share a combined academic mission to improve the health and well-being of eastern North Carolina through patient care, education and research.
The Communications Specialist functions as a direct facilitator in processing and executing service requests for the ECU Health System. Responsibilities include: obtaining the appropriate information for service requests and providing any additional assistance necessary to meet the system's needs. The Communications Specialist functions as a part of the Communications Center and shares responsibility for working cooperatively with all team members. The Communications Specialist dispatches and communicates with all EastCare assets, maintains logs and records, and performs other dutiesas assigned. The Communication Specialist will uphold the mission, goals, and objectives, of EastCare and the ECU Health System at all times.
1. Coordinates communications between EMS agencies, transport teams, faculty physicians, referring and receiving hospitals. Function as a resource for all new EastCare Communication Center team members and actively participates in the development and training of new staff. Demonstrates proficiency of operation in all methods of communications including telephone, radio and e-mail. Consistently follows all EastCare Communication Center policies and procedures. Seek guidance from the Communication Center Supervisor as needed for unusual operational circumstances or guidance regarding policy decisions. Demonstrates skills, competencies, and judgment necessary to respond to service requests by phone, radio or other appropriate communications methods.
2. Documents and retrieves information / data on computer/network system including interventions, and other pertinent patient care information in a timely manner. Documents unusual operational matters in the flight record and /or special report system as warranted. Completes all official documentation in a timely manner.
Demonstrates competency in assigning requests for service to the most appropriate patient transport mode (i.e., helicopter, fixed wing or ambulance). Demonstrates competency in resident dispatch response procedure and documentation.
3. Contributes to safety through landing zone verification, following proper communication procedures and flight following. Ensures confidentiality of patient information at all times. Utilizes appropriate safety channels to report safety concerns, and uses tools available to enhance a safe work environment.
4. Reflects a positive attitude to the customer in a high stress environment at all times, with a clear understanding of who the customer is. Demonstrates the ability to establish a rapport with customers: including the ability to create and sustain a positive relationship; regardless of circumstances or environment.
5. Adheres to uniform policy and maintains a professional and neat appearance while working and representing EastCare. Performs all assigned duties, including daily, weekly, monthly, or other duties assigned by the Communications Center Supervisor, EastCare Manager, or Administrator including (but not limited to). Participating in shift report from off going crew. Answering and responding to inquiries in a timely and efficient manner. Reviewing and adhering to EastCare Policies and Procedures. Maintaining a clean workspace environment. Adheres to rules for scheduling, including schedule requests, minimum time, and availability.
Participates in required education and training sessions in a positive and constructive manner. Collects and promptly processes request information including demographics, medical necessity, and other required information. Responds promptly and efficiently to requests for service (air and ground). Participates constructively in the quality improvement program when requested.
It is the goal of ECU Health and its entities to employ the most qualified individual who best matches the requirements for the vacant position.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of all pre-employment screenings, which may include an occupational health screening, criminal record check, education, reference, and licensure verification.
We value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Decisions of employment are made based on business needs, job requirements and applicant’s qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other status protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint.
For additional information, please contact:
D'metrius Dew, Talent Acquisition Consultant
ECU Health Talent Acquisition
Email: [email protected]