As we transition to ECU Health in the coming weeks and months, you will notice changes to our digital landscape, including ongoing updates to this site. Throughout this rebranding and into the future we remain committed to the communities we proudly serve. We’re excited for this evolution, and what it means for the future of health care in eastern North Carolina.GO TO SITE
Job ID: 961397
Facility: ECU Health Medical Center
Dept: Pathology- General Histology
Location: Greenville, NC
Shift: Not Applicable
Date Posted: Dec 21, 2022
About ECU Health
ECU Health is a mission-driven, 1,708-bed academic health care system serving more than 1.4 million people in 29 eastern North Carolina counties. The not-for-profit system is comprised of 13,000 team members, nine hospitals and a physician group that encompasses over 1,100 academic and community providers practicing in over 180 primary and specialty clinics located in more than 130 locations.
The flagship ECU Health Medical Center, a Level I Trauma Center, and ECU Health Maynard Children’s Hospital serve as the primary teaching hospitals for the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. ECU Health and the Brody School of Medicine share a combined academic mission to improve the health and well-being of eastern North Carolina through patient care, education and research.
Prepares surgical specimens submitted to the laboratory for microscopic examination by the pathologists, maintains records of prepared specimens and maintains equipment. Assists physicians with gross examination and with frozen sections.
1. Responsible for accurately receiving, accessioning and labeling surgical specimens and maintaining an accurate log of specimens using the lab computer system.
2. Assists with gross examination of tissue including labeling and preparing tissue cassettes. Assists with specimen photography as needed. Assists with frozen sections including the staining of sections, maintaining the specimen identity of each block and clean up of the cryostat and frozen section room. Assists as required with Cytology specimen preparation.
3. Maintains the gross rooms and frozen section rooms in a clean and orderly manner. Ensures all are adequately stocked with necessary supplies. Stores and disposes of tissue specimens as required by CAP.
4. Prepares worklists and slides as appropriate.
5. Responsible for loading, changing and cleaning the tissue processor.
6. Responsible for the preparation of microscope slides including the following: embedding, cutting paraffin sections, mounting sections on glass slides for microscopic evaluation and staining using a variety of stains.
7. Maintains records of prepared specimens: labels stained and finished slides, examines sample of stained slides with microscope to ascertain results, prepares solutions and reagents in accordance with standard procedures, records number of blocks handled and number of slides prepared, files tissue blocks checking to ensure each is appropriately labeled. Distributes cases appropriately.
8. Responsible for instrument maintenance on all equipment and the maintenance of all supplies in the Histology laboratory.
9. Performs duties using safe practices as outlined in the Department Safety Manual. Maintains the quality of service in the laboratory consistent with CAP and JCAHO standards by using the established and current principles of specimen collection and preparation.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School or equivalent or higher degree with at least 12 semester hours (18 quarter hours) of academic credit of biology and chemistry (must include credit hours in both disciplines)
OR High School or equivalent or higher with 5 years of previous lab experience OR 3 years of previous Histology or Cytology experience
One to two years of experience as a Histotechnician or related experience is required.
Must be HT (ASCP) or HT (ASCP) eligible. HT (ASCP) certification must be obtained within first 2 years of employment.
It is the goal of ECU Health and its entities to employ the most qualified individual who best matches the requirements for the vacant position.
Offers of employment are subject to successful completion of all pre-employment screenings, which may include an occupational health screening, criminal record check, education, reference, and licensure verification.
We value diversity and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Decisions of employment are made based on business needs, job requirements and applicant’s qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, genetic information and testing, family and medical leave, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other status protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint.